- Going to the grocery store every week. - Grocery shopping every week enables us to have FRESH stuff, fruits and vegetables, always in the house vs. bunches of packaged and processed things that last forever lol.
- Freezing things. Corn on the cobb, bananas for smoothies, leftovers, etc. Freezing freshly purchased fruits and veggies is better usually than buying the packaged versions often frozen with preservatives and sugars, and freezing leftovers that we know we won't eat in a short times offers quick meal prep in the future.
- Putting spinach in my smoothies. I've gotten into the habit of making strawberry, banana, spinach, almond milk smoothies. Veggies are the food group many people have trouble getting enough of in their diet. While I have no problem with eating veggies, it's definitely easy to get a serving in with a fruit smoothie.
- Meal planning. I grocery shop based on the meals I plan to cook, and I have a white board on the refrigerator with the meals I'll make for the week. This comes in handy with reminding me what to take out to defrost, and having a choice of meals I know are available to make lessens the chances of us going to McDonald's after work by about 95% lol
- Homemade snack prep. Outside of fresh fruit for snacking, I've been trying to make one homemade snack each week for us to have. The first was homemade trail mix, and this week is homemade granola bars. Making something from scratch you have complete control over what's in it, so it makes me proud to give my hubby something I've prepared to snack on vs. a packaged snack.
- Water. I'm drinking more of it. I would say my drinks are about 90% water that aren't smoothies.
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Nesheaholic Healthy Eating Tips
© NESHEAHOLIC | All rights reserved.